Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket       Photobucket

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Pit

Over the past week, as I mentioned here and here, I spent a good deal of time - two mornings and nine evenings, to be precise - in the pit orchestra for a show at my school.

The violinist who sat to my left is a Christian, and one night during the pieces not requiring violins, she was reading her Bible. Suddenly she started silently cracking up, and pointed out a text to me:

"You have put me in the lowest pit, in the darkest depths." (Psalm 88:6)

In a literal sense, that is exactly where we were.

Come to think of it, there are a lot of verses in Psalms that speak to this.

"Answer me quickly, O LORD; my spirit fails. Do not hide your face from me or I will be like those who go down to the pit." (Psalm 143:7)

"I am counted among those who go down to the pit; I am like a man without strength." (Psalm 88:4)

Ah, but there is hope when one is in the pit!

"Praise the LORD, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name.
Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits-
who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion,
who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's." (Psalm 103:1-5)

Come to think of it, David was a musician. Maybe at some point he sat in a pit and played "I Hope I Get It" from "A Chorus Line" eleven days in a row.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I came across your blog, and I love it! I'm a fellow violinist, teacher, Christian in Ohio, and it's really heartwarming and encouraging to read your thoughts on a lot of the things I find myself doing on a daily basis, as well.
    Good luck with with school and all your other musical pursuits!
    http://uncreativeviolinist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. SteveDad4:05 PM

    Sarah,
    Thank you for this timely reminder!

    ReplyDelete