Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket       Photobucket

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

"Climbing Uphill"

A show I'm playing at school this week features a song from "The Last Five Years" that makes me laugh every time I hear it. It's a stream of consciousness type piece, and while I can't see what's happening on the stage from my spot in the pit, it seems to be a sequence of musical theater auditions given by an aspiring young singer. Something about the lyrics - basically every thought that goes through her head as she sings for the judges - seem to encompass fairly well the thoughts of any performing artist, and maybe that's why this song makes me laugh.

There are lines like these:

"I'm standing in line with 200 girls who are younger and thinner than me... who have already been to the gym."

"Why did I pick these shoes why did I pick this song why did I pick this career whyyyyyy does this pianist hate me?"

"I suck I suck I suck I suuuuuck!"

"I will not be the girl who gets asked how it feels to be trotting along at the genius's heels!" [How many times have I thought this?!]

But the capstone humorous moment, for me at least, is always this line:

"But Jamie needs space to write since I'm obviously such a horrible annoying distraction to him what's it gonna be like when we have kids?" [Because when one is being dramatic about one's relationships and furthermore one's entire life, one ultimately comes to this question as the drama to trump all dramas.]

You can listen to the song on YouTube, although I should preface it with a warning that it does contain a bad word. You have been warned.



1 comment:

  1. AHHH!!! That is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time! I love it! "Why does this pianist hate me?" Oh I have SO thought that before. Along with "I suck I suck I suck I suuuuuck!" Whoever wrote this is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete