Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket       Photobucket

Monday, May 04, 2009

Jesus Christ, Superman?

Yesterday morning in church we sang an anthem called "Christ the Lord is Ris'n Again" by John somebodyorother (note the first name). The opening melody (in 3/4) goes like this: do- do | sol- sol | la sol fa | sol-- | (dashes represent additional beats; i.e. the first note was a half note followed by a single quarter note, etc.)

Then, after church, I played a pops concert featuring the infamous "Superman" music by John Williams. Different rhythm; same melody!



(The main melody I'm talking about starts at 1:05 in this video.)

Of course, while that melody pertains to Superman rather than Luke Skywalker et al, I can no longer hear that particular theme without hearing in my head the words, "Nobody cares if you upset a droid! Droids don't tear your arms out of sockets!" made infamous by this incredibly clever video:



Now, get this - today, May 4, is commonly known as "Star Wars Day," because of the play on words "May the 4th be with you."

May 3rd or May 4th, a church anthem or Superman or Star Wars, I'm getting the feeling that the spirit of John Williams is hovering around me lately! What is it you're asking of me, Mr. Williams? You'd like me to go to Dagobah? Only say the word, sir! With my violin in hand, I will take your great movie music to the farthest corners of the galaxy!

2 comments:

  1. Ok, you aren't going to believe this, but I sang your do- do sol- sol etc. to myself and thought "no one cares, if you upset a droid" and THEN read the rest of your post.

    That song just sticks with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:42 PM

    :) This post made me smile, a lot. And miss you guys. And wish I was still living in Massachusetts.
    ~ h

    ReplyDelete