Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket       Photobucket

Friday, February 12, 2010

Chocolate Muffin Recipe

I ran across this recipe awhile ago, but didn't get around to trying it until this week. While I wouldn't necessarily say that these muffins are "guilt-free," they are low-fat and gluten-free (if you use gluten-free oats, of course). And they're delicious!


(photo from health.com)

Since I already had my blender out to blend the oats into oat flour, after setting the oat flour aside I whirled the applesauce in my blender along with a ripe banana, and then reduced the amount of turbinado sugar since bananas are so naturally sweet. I ended up with moist, chocolatey muffins - more of a dessert than a breakfast, really!

Here's my slightly modified version:

Ingredients:

1 cup applesauce
1 ripe banana
1 teaspoon canola oil
1/3 cup turbinado sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

3/4 cup (or a little more) oat flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup semisweet dairy- and gluten-free chocolate chips (or use regular if you're not concerned about being vegan or gf)

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place 8 paper liners in muffin tin.

2. Using a blender or food processor, grind oats into oat flour. Set aside in a medium bowl, and add cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.

3. Combine applesauce, banana, oil, sugar, and vanilla in blender.

4. Add applesauce mixture to oat mixture; stir. Stir in chocolate chips.

5. Spoon batter into muffin cups. Bake for 20–22 minutes, rotating the pan a half-turn after 10 minutes. Muffins are done when tops are firm to the touch.

3 comments:

  1. If we're not aiming for gluten free, would regular whole wheat pastry flour work as well? Also, what is different about turbinado sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,

    I'd think that using wheat flour instead of oat flour would change the texture - I haven't tried it so I'm not sure. I don't eat gluten-free, I just love using oats in baking so I wouldn't necessarily think to substitute something else. Turbinado sugar is easier to find organic, and is less processed than refined white sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound delicious and healthy! yum!

    ReplyDelete