Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket       Photobucket

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Left Behind

We live in a town where everything apparently closes down by nine o'clock on a Sunday night. Not entirely aware of this fact, I drove to one grocery store and then another in search of a few breakfast items so Nathan could eat in the morning. Not only was nothing open, but no one, no one at all, was driving around on the streets. No lights were on. The entire town seemed to be deserted. Having already wrestled with my always-reticent car steering wheel and key to get it to start, and now unable to find a single place open, I realized I was driving a little too fast and feeling a little too annoyed. And suddenly it seemed entirely reasonable that, irritable as I was, the entire world had been raptured and I had been left behind.

I came back home, and Nathan's still here, so at least I'm in good company.

But I won't be able to feed him bagels for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment