Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket       Photobucket

Saturday, September 06, 2008

Links

There's all sorts of interesting stuff online. Here are a few articles I've read and enjoyed lately...

Gov. Mom provides a factual look at Sarah Palin's life as Governor of Alaska, VP candidate, and mom of five:

"It's quite a compelling image: An accomplished -- even glamorous -- working mother, projecting to the world that she can and does have it all: five children, a successful career and a husband who doesn't mind being Mr. Mom. Oh, and she's going to be a grandmother, and her infant has special needs, and she's running for vice president."

Elizabeth at In the Heart of My Home shares a more personal perspective about Palin:

"Can Sarah Palin appeal to traditional moms at home who are raising their children? Oh, yes, she can! Every home is different and every woman has a different way of expressing the fullness of her femininity. Some of us balance homemaking and childrearing with some kind of work at home, whether that is freelance writing or in-home childcare for children not our own. Some of us take on the formidable task of working alongside our husbands to farm the land and care for livestock. And some dedicated mothers discern to work outside their homes, while Dad takes on a greater share of child care. I know what works for my family and I think Sarah Palin and her husband know what works for hers."

If you don't have time to read whole articles about Palin, and if you missed her speech at the RNC (I hope you didn't), here are a few witty soundbytes:

"The American presidency is not supposed to be a journey of 'personal discovery.' This world of threats and dangers is not just a community, and it doesn’t just need an organizer."

"Before I became governor of the great state of Alaska, I was mayor of my hometown. And since our opponents in this presidential election seem to look down on that experience, let me explain to them what the job involves. I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a 'community organizer,' except that you have actual responsibilities."

A Speech to the Delegates provides a humorous, if a little corny, laugh at recent political events:

"For this election isn’t about the past or the present, or even the pluperfect conditional. It’s about the future, and Barack Obama loves the future because that’s where all his accomplishments are."

"No, this country cannot afford to elect John Bushmccain. Under Republican rule, locusts have stripped the land, adults wear crocs in public and M&M’s have lost their flavor. We must instead ride to the uplands of hope!"

And on an unrelated note, more links - these to some books I've been wanting to get my hands on:

An Equal Music: A Novel by Vikram Seth

Personal Record: A Love Affair With Running by Rachel Toor

The More-With-Less Cookbook by Doris Janzen Longacre

In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan

And one book I did get my hands on, thanks to a kind loan from my friend Story (although currently FavoriteBoy has usurped it, so while he's several chapters into it and declaring it very good, I haven't yet cracked the cover):

Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care

There are an awful lot of interesting things in life - it's a lot to keep up with.

1 comment:

  1. The Omnivore's Dilemma is another great book by Michael Pollan. And along those lines Plenty by Alissa Smith and J B MacKinnon, and Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. Just thought I would add to your list :-)

    ReplyDelete