Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket       Photobucket

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Audition

It's 7:30 in the morning, and I'm about to depart, violin in hand, and go to a grad school audition. Yes, I've applied to a graduate program for a master's degree in music performance.

There are two reasons why I should feel exceptionally calm about this particular audition, at which I will be playing the first movement of the Tchaikovsky concerto and the third movement of the Bach A minor solo sonata. First of all, I already know that I will be accepted into the program. Secondly, I don't even know for sure that I want to go to this particular school. So why am I freaking out?

I shouldn't be, but I am. And since I am, I decided to give myself a pep talk. It went like this: "Hey Self, remember that great compliment you got from your last teacher? You are an OK violinist. You might not play every 32nd-note double-stop perfectly in tune. You might not keep the bass line in the Bach perfectly even or consistent enough. But you will probably not totally bomb. Probably not."

I'm going to play everything through once more. And then I'm off.

5 comments:

  1. Prayed the Lord would calm your spirit and that you would ROCK this audition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey good luck! Although I think I'm too late by now. So, pray tell, which school is this? Welcome to the weirdness of deciding what to do next....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, what fun! Well, I hope it all goes well for you, I'm sure you'll do wonderfully. Or well, perhaps I should say I'm sure it went well and that you did wonderfully. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay grad school! Where was your audition? What degree are you going for? Very exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. how did it go?
    How exciting!
    MKR

    ReplyDelete