Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket       Photobucket

Friday, February 08, 2008

Roasted Curry Chickpeas

In the past year I've become obsessed with roasting vegetables. Growing up my family ate mostly steamed, boiled, or raw veggies, so I didn't discover the fabulous flavors of roasted vegetables until more recently. Nowadays I roast broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, squash, brussels sprouts, potatoes... yum!

Yesterday I stumbled across a recipe for curry roasted chickpeas. I had the ingredients on hand and it seemed like a healthy and tasty thing to have for lunch (along with some grapes and baby carrots), so I made the chickpeas right away. They were delicious!

I modified the recipe slightly - I didn't heat the ingredients in a skillet first; I just tossed everything together in a bowl and then spread the chickpeas out on a foil-lined baking sheet. I used a little more curry powder than called for, and I roasted the chickpeas for more like 40 minutes rather than 30. In the end they were crunchy and spicy on the outside, and a bit soft on the inside.

The blog where I found the recipe, Words to Eat By, seems to have a wealth of tasty recipes, many of them quite healthy. I'm looking forward to trying many more recipes.

By the way, if you want to try roasted potatoes the way I like them, just dice a potato (or more if you're cooking for a family), toss the cubes in a bowl with some olive oil, dijon mustard, cumin, paprika, and a dash of cayenne pepper (all to taste), and stir to coat the potato pieces. Roast the potatoes on a baking sheet at about 400 degrees until the potatoes are brown and crispy. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. We love roasting veggies too - it is definitely our favorite way of serving them. We had roasted cauliflower tonight, as a matter of fact! Thanks for the recipe, that looks intriguing. I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:13 PM

    I've been experimenting with making curry-like mixes, usually an equal combination of coriander, paprika, and cumin (except Matt and I LOVE cumin and sometimes go overboard), plus a little bit of cinnamon. Add that to meat/veggies, top with parsley and roasted pine nuts (or put the last two in couscous). Find a way to fit in lemon zest/juice somewhere in there, and yum. I think I'll add chickpeas tonight...

    ReplyDelete