Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket       Photobucket

Friday, March 16, 2007

Cinnamon Sauce

FavoriteBoy finds most alcoholic beverages quite distasteful. There's a rather strange and specific thing he likes, though: Goldschlager, a cinnamon schnapps liqueur. And he doesn't do shots of it; he likes it over vanilla ice cream. Weird, I know. Tonight he got a bit of a craving for vanilla ice cream, Danish butter cookies, and Goldschlager. Okay, whatever, but we don't have any Goldschlager and it's snowing out and I didn't particularly want to go to the liquor store and get some. So, I improvised. I decided that the cinnamon flavor of the liqueur is probably the distinctive flavor Nathan likes, so I made a cinnamon sauce.

Over medium heat, boil 1 cup water with 2 tablespoons of butter. Add 1/2 cup brown sugar and a little over 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Stir, and let it bubble for a minute while you dissolve about 2 teaspoons of cornstarch in 2 teaspoons of water. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the cinnamon mixture until it is smooth and blended. Add a little bit of vanilla if you want.

Serve it over vanilla ice cream as a fun and different alternative to chocolate syrup! Add some Danish butter cookies if you want the full FavoriteBoy experience.

Having finished his dessert, FavoriteBoy is now sitting at the piano playing the end of the Rutter Te Deum by ear just for fun. He's playing my favorite part, where the words are, "O Lord, in Thee have I trusted: let me never be confounded." I think the Te Deum is perfect.

5 comments:

  1. Yum...my mouth watered as you described that yum, yum, yummy desert, tell FavoritBoy he has impeccable taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a very lucky husband. I will definitely never be the domestic diva you're turning out to be (although I will say I can throw a mean party!).

    P.S. We need to chat. I want your view on some things. AIM sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Why didn't you just make him go out and get the liqueur himself?

    Nobody but the very toughest will ever want to marry me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:58 PM

    Sarah, but you hate music, how could you begin to think Rutter's Te Deum is perfect?? Silly girl. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:39 AM

    LOL it's double-irony because I thought you meant this Te Deum:

    http://www.amazon.com/Decibels-Destruction-Ron-D-Core/dp/B00004TRT1/ref=sr_1_1/002-9913490-9666427?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1174365511&sr=8-1

    And Goldschlager (sp?) isn't bad at all, if you can tolerate the million urban legends about it. =) It's always so good to hear the glad travels of a happy new couple =)

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete