Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket       Photobucket

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Let All Mortal Flesh Keep Silence

Sorry I didn't post over the past two days. Things have been busy busy around here with juries, the Christmas Gala, and finals coming up.

The Advent hymn I've picked for today is actually one that we're doing in the Christmas Gala this weekend. I'm playing handbells in this piece; the arrangement we're doing is really beautiful. I play the top two bells, and I get the "last word" in the piece. It's going to be really nice this weekend in the performances. The chapel will be dark, and the bells will begin playing as we walk onstage. The choir will process in through the aisles of the chapel, holding candles and singing these words:

Let all mortal flesh keep silence,
And with fear and trembling stand;
Ponder nothing earthly minded,
For with blessing in His hand,
Christ our God to earth descendeth,
Our full homage to demand.

King of kings, yet born of Mary,
As of old on earth He stood,
Lord of lords, in human vesture,
In the body and the blood;
He will give to all the faithful
His own self for heavenly food.

Rank on rank the host of heaven
Spreads its vanguard on the way,
As the Light of light descendeth
From the realms of endless day,
That the powers of hell may vanish
As the darkness clears away.

At His feet the six wingèd seraph,
Cherubim with sleepless eye,
Veil their faces to the presence,
As with ceaseless voice they cry:
Alleluia, Alleluia
Alleluia, Lord Most High!



Words: Li­tur­gy of St. James; trans­lat­ed from Greek to Eng­lish by Gerard Moultrie (1829-1885), 1864.

Music: Pi­car­dy (French car­ol mel­o­dy); har­mo­ny from The Eng­lish Hymn­al, 1906.

Recording Sarah recommends: Choir of King's College directed by Stephen Cleobury; Best Loved Hymns.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:28 PM

    I love that hymn. That was actually one of the last pieces I did with my choir before pregnancy took me away from work. You should have heard my lovely chamber choir singing it...it was their favorite piece and they sang it with such intensity!
    Now you've made me miss choir. :(

    ReplyDelete