Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket       Photobucket

Monday, September 12, 2005

This morning at the gym I was skimming through a magazine while working out on the elliptical. One article claimed that you should "kiss your significant other the way you want to be kissed." I nearly laughed aloud - has the Golden Rule degenerated to this?!

Last night as I lay in bed trying to sleep, I was feeling worried and overwhelmed by many aspects of my life. As I prayed, I suddenly realized that the answer - the overarching answer, I mean - was already in my mind and heart, and had been all day. "Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee. He never shall suffer the righteous to fall: He is at thy right hand. Thy mercy, Lord, is great, and far above the heavens. Let none be made ashamed, that wait upon Thee!" It's a quartet from Mendelssohn's Elijah, and it was the anthem we had sung in church choir that very morning. It had been running through my head all day, and yet still I had been stressed, worried, overwhelmed, and overwraught. "Cast thy burden upon the Lord..." And so I did.

Oh I love Elijah...

Blessed are the men who fear Him, they ever walk in the way of peace.
Through darkness riseth light, light to the upright.
He is gracious, compassionate; He is righteous.

The stormy billows are high, their fury is mighty.
But the Lord is above them and almighty.

'Be not afraid,' saith God the Lord, 'be not afraid, thy help is near!'
God, the Lord, thy God, saith unto thee: 'Be not afraid!'
Though thousands languish and fall beside thee,
And tens of thousands around thee perish,
Yet still it shall not come nigh thee.

Lift thine eyes, O lift thine eyes to the mountains, whence cometh help.
Thy help cometh from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth.
He hath said, thy foot shall not be moved, thy Keeper will never slumber.

Lord, our Creator, how excellent Thy name is in all the nations!
Thou fillest heaven with Thy glory. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment