Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket       Photobucket

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I forgot to mention an interesting realization I had in church this past Sunday. I've been attending my family's church all summer, which is a very contemporary, quasi-non-denominational church. I like many things about the church: the preaching, the pursuit of excellence in worship, and the fact that I can play my violin in the band to rave reviews (heh). In fact, I've been pretty content to go there for the summer. I hadn't realized how much I missed tradition until I walked into Blessed Sacrament. We sang hymns! We took communion! We said the Creed! It was like the feeling when you take a drink of cool water and suddenly realize that you've been thirsty all along and not even known it.

I really want to memorize the Creed in Latin. Actually, let me ammend that statement and say that I really want to learn Latin, period. I took Latin in high school, but I am already amazed at how much I've forgotten since then. Ah, frail mind! But it looks as though I may be able to remedy my deplorable lack of linguistic ability during this coming year; I may be able to take Latin as an independent study. I would really like that. And I would really like to memorize the Creed, if just to be able to say this one most beautifully flowing line: Deum de Deo, lumen de lĂșmine, Deum verum de Deo vero.

It doesn't get much better than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment