Photobucket      Photobucket      Photobucket       Photobucket

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Love (III)

Since I first discovered the poetry of Herbert during my freshman year of college, I've had a particular affinity for Love (III). I had memorized it years ago, and it recently came back to my mind. When I got to the last bit, though, I suddenly found it humorous - since I'm now a vegetarian - that such a beloved poem should end with an invitation to eat meat.

LOVE (III)
by George Herbert

Love bade me welcome, yet my soul drew back,
Guilty of dust and sin.
But quick-ey'd Love, observing me grow slack
From my first entrance in,
Drew nearer to me, sweetly questioning
If I lack'd anything.

"A guest," I answer'd, "worthy to be here";
Love said, "You shall be he."
"I, the unkind, the ungrateful? ah my dear,
I cannot look on thee."
Love took my hand and smiling did reply,
"Who made the eyes but I?"

"Truth, Lord, but I have marr'd them; let my shame
Go where it doth deserve."
"And know you not," says Love, "who bore the blame?"
"My dear, then I will serve."
"You must sit down," says Love, "and taste my meat."
So I did sit and eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment